Friday, February 10, 2012

A Day in the Life of a Chicken

There was a baby rooster that stood by a road staring intently at the other side.  A kindly hen strutted up and inquired as to the cause of the long face on the rooster. 
"Edna and her chicks went over to that side," exclaimed the rooster.  “She took my best friend, Rodney, with her!”
“Really?” asked the other, surprised.   “Why would she go over there?”
“I heard the crossing was merely a whimsical exercise in assertiveness.”
“That Edna always was a rebel.  There, there, I’ll lay you a new friend.”
“Thank you,” sniffed the rooster, “I’m so glad to have a friend that can lay eggs.  You have to have a hen before formulating embryonic fowls.”
“Yes indeed.”  After laying five eggs and taking appropriate steps to fertilize them, the hen perched upon her nest, warming the potential playmates of the baby rooster.
“This is grand,” said the rooster with a big smile.  “I will have five new playmates now.”
“Try not to get your hopes up, dear,” replied the hen, soothingly.  “We must not calculate the number of hatchings before they break though their shells.”
“Oh right you are.  I tend to forget that it is not wise to place all my hopes in a single wicker container.”

No comments:

Post a Comment